First broadcast March 3, 2000
Diverse Musical Travels: Some Snapshots
We're traveling to three regions for this program: The Highlands and
Islands region of Scotland, the closed steel mills of Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania. and the Appalachian Mountains and Vienna, West Virginia.
Our trip to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland during the first hour was
made possible by MIDAS (Music Industry Development and Support), a unique
collaboration to promote the music of the Gaelic-speaking areas of
Scotland's west coast and Western Isles, the northern isles and Caithness.
Check out the Web pages at www.highland-music.com and www.shetland-music.com.
The second hour brought us home to a historical songwriting project in
Bethlehem in which Massachusetts' Bob Franke was artistic director. All of
the tunes are associated with the now closed steel mills in that region of
Pennsylvania and were recorded as part of the project. You can reach them
We finished up with tracks from newly-discovered bluegrass mandolin
virtuoso Johnny Staats of West Virginia whose first album has just been
released. He's not giving up his day job, however, as a driver for United
Parcel Service -- at least just not yet.
Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Debbie Scott, "Anne Grace Henderson/The Chief/Donnie Henderson's Reel",
Debbie Scott, Veesik
- Fiddler's Bid, "Yellow Stockings Medley", "Innisheer", Hamnataing, Greentrax
- Sheila Henderson, "Killin' The Blues", "I Don't Love You Anymore", Waiting
For Venus, Graft
- Debbie Scott, "Killer Whale/The Trip To Ve Skerries", "David's Waltz",
"Cluckin' Hen", "Pionersk/Cutty Sark", "Klink Hamar/October/Avurna", Debbie
- Filska, "Brenda Stubbert's Reel, "Monday Morning", "Guzzle Together", Time
And Tide, Highlander Music
- Tom Watson, "Days Of Steel"
- Bob Hrichak, "Man Of Steel"
- Tom Watson, "Forty One Cents An Hour"
- Bonnie O'Donnell, "Something Happened In The Mill"
- Richard Kushner, "Hello, Mr. Wolle"
- Christian Baumann, "Waiting For The Fun"
- Bob Franke, "Little White Envelopes"
- Bill Hall, "Southside"
All selections from Days Of Steel/Songs From An Empty Steel Mill, Bummer
- Johnny Staats, "Mandolin Meltdown", "Coal Tattoo", "Escape From Taiwan",
"Catch Me If You Can", Wires And Wood, The Johnny Staats Project, Giant