First broadcast May 12, 2000
Double Takes, Second Listens
We opened with selections from Liz Carroll's new album on Green Linnet,
"Lost In The Loop". Liz will be appearing in Fairfield on Sunday, Mother's
Day. The second segment was an In Memoriam for Lee Haggerty, a founder,
with Sandy and Caroline Paton, of Folk-Legacy Records of Huntington, VT and
then Sharon, CT. Folk-Legacy is one of folk music's treasured resources and
Haggerty was a major impetus in its creation. We programmed three field
recordings from the label's newest albums that he recorded. A memorial
service takes place Sunday in Sharon for him.
The largest portion of the show offered a simple theme that has become
wildly popular with listeners: Double Takes and Second Listens. The format
is usually two different interpretations of the same song, but this program
include a short set on response songs as well.
Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Liz Carroll, "See It There/Con Cassidy's" "The Old Maid Of Galway/Lizzy In
The Lowground", "The Silver Spear/The Earl's Chair/The Musical Priest", Lost In The Loop, Green Linnet
In Memoriam: Lee Haggerty
- Dave Thompson, "The House Carpenter"
- Joe Estey, "The Bunch Of Watercresses"
- Vern Smelser, "The Young Man Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn"
Selections from Ballads And Songs Of Tradition, Folk-Legacy
- Dillards, "Polly Vaughn", There Is A Time, Vanguard
- Al Petteway & Amy White, "Polly Vaughn", Racing Hearts, Fairewood Studios
- Bob Dylan, "Boots Of Spanish Leather", The Times They Are A-Changin', Columbia
- Seldom Scene, "Boots Of Spanish Leather", Scene It All, Sugar Hill
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", Appalachian Stomp,
- Eric Von Schmidt, "Can The Serpent Be Housebroken?", Baby Let Me Lay It On
- Kate Wolf, "Poet's Heart", Poet's Heart, Kaleidoscope
- Eric Bogle, "Katie And The Dreamtime Land", Something Of Value, Philo
- Joan Baez, "Diamonds And Rust", Diamonds And Rust, A&M
- Bob Dylan, "If You See Her, Say Hello", The Bootleg Series/Vol. 3, Columbia
- Muddy Waters, "Rollin' And Tumblin'", Legends Of Guitar, Rhino
- Seldom Scene, "Rollin' And Tumblin'", Scene It All, Sugar Hill
- Blue Rodeo, "5 Days In May", 5 Days In July, Discovery
- Salamander Crossing, "5 Days In May", Bottleneck Dreams, Signature Sounds
- Clive Gregson, Boo Hewerdine, Eddi Reader, "Dimming Of The Day", The World
Is A Wonderful Place, Green Linnet
- Tony Rice, Larry Rice, Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen, "Dimming Of The Day",
Out Of The Woodwork, Rounder