First broadcast April 20, 2001
In Memoriam: Davy Steele & Sandy Bull
10 p.m. to Midnight Host: Steve Winters
The bulk of this show paid tribute to Scottish singer Davy Steele who died
on April 11 after a yearlong battle with a brain tumor and musical
visionary Sandy Bull whose eclectic approach to folk music melded music of
many cultures in the early 1960s and influenced countless musicians. Bull
also died on April 11 in Nashville.
Steele was a gifted interpreter of the songs of Robert Burns, Scotland's
premier Bard, and enjoyed stints during his career with several groups
including Ceolbeg, Gael Force, Clan Alba and, most recently, the
Battlefield Band. He was equally a gifted songwriter.
Bull was a master of stringed instruments who produced seminal instrumental
recordings for Vanguard in the 1960s from his Greenwich Village home base.
Unfortunately, by the early 1970s he disappeared from performing despite
the influence of his music on a generation of musicians.
In an ironic coincidence with Bull's passing, we also marked the time 40
years ago when folksingers were booted out of New York's Washington Square
Park, only to mount a massive protest and have the rights restored. Bull
was a part of that movement.
The remainder of the show featured tracks from a new Tom Russell album and
music from artists who will be appearing in our broadcast region
- Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Martin Hayes, The Whistler From Rosslea/Connor Dunn's, Martin Hayes, Green Linnet
- Davy Steele w/ Battlefield Band, Heave Ya Ho, Rain, Hail Or Shine, Temple
- Davy Steele, Jimmy Waddell/Lochanside, Chasing Shadows, Temple
- Davy Steele, O Once I Luv'd A Bonnie Lass, Complete Songs Of Robert Burns/Vol. 5, Linn
- Davy Steele, O My Luv's Like A Red, Red Rose, I Maun Hae A Wife/Young And Souple Was I, Complete Songs Of Robert Burns/Vol. 4, Linn
- Davy Steele w/ Battlefield Band, The Beaches Of St. Valery/Elizabeth Clare, Rain, Hail Or Shine, Temple
- Tom Russell, Down The Rio Grande, Where The Dream Begins, The Sante Fe At Midnight, The Road It Gives, The Road It Takes Away, Borderland. Hightone
- Sandy Bull, How-Down Medley, The Folksingers Of Washington Square, Continental
- Sandy Bull, Non Nobis Domine, Little Maggie, Fantasias, Vanguard
- Sandy Bull, Triple Ballade, Inventions, Vanguard
- Sandy Bull, Hard Trials, The Folksingers Of Washington Square, Continental
- Gerard Edery & Geo Mgrdichian, La Rosa Linda, A La Una Yo Naci, Avram Avinu, Scalerica De Oro, Romanzas Sefarditas. Sefarad Records
- Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill, Medley, The Lonesome Touch, Green Linnet