First broadcast November 19, 2010
A Night of Dylan
10 p.m. to Midnight Host: Steve Winters
Even though he's approaching 70 years of age next spring, the folk juggernaut known as Bob Dylan continues. Columbia/Legacy recently released two more Dylan packages - the Witmark Demos of 1962-1964 on "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 9" and reissues of his first eight albums in their entire monaural splendor. Historian Sean Wilentz and music chronicler Greil Marcus both have new books out about Dylan. And the master himself continues his Never Ending Tour as the bus moves into our broadcast region with three long ago sold out dates at Terminal 5 in New York City before Thanksgiving and a post-holiday show at Foxwoods, one of Connecticut's two casinos.
This program celebrates Dylan and utilizes a "show within a show" offering listeners Joyride Media's one hour radio special "Bob Dylan: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man" which focuses on Dylan's early years in New York City and his songwriting prowess.
Sandwiched around the special portrait were selections of some of his early musical influences and recent covers of his compositions.
- Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin', Best Of The Original Mono Recordings, Columbia/Legacy
- Woody Guthrie, Talking Dust Bowl Blues, Dust Bowl Ballads, Buddha
- Martin Carthy, Lord Franklin, A Collection, Topic
- Hank Williams, Lost Highway, Health & Happiness Show, Proper
- Blind Willie McTell, Delia, The Classic Years, JSP
- Blind Lemon Jefferson, See That My Grave Is Kept Clean, Tracks That Influenced Dylan, Uncut Masters
- Lilly Brothers & Don Stover, Barbara Allen, Bluegrass At The Roots 1961, Smithsonian Folkways
- Dave Van Ronk, Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out, And The Tin Pan Bended.And The Story Ended, Smithsonian Folkways
- Bob Dylan: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man / Joyride Media, , ,
- Kruger Brothers, Don't Think Twice It's Alright, Forever And A Day, Double Time Music
- Shawn Taylor, I Want You, Wandering Roots, Independent
- John Byrne Band, Forget The Whale, After The Wake, Independent
- Vikki Clayton, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, It Suits Me Well, Castle
- Johnsmith, The Times They Are A-Changin', Gravity Of Grace, Independent