First broadcast October 7, 2011
In Memoriam: Bert Jansch / Artists Appearing In Our Area
10 p.m. to Midnight Host: Steve Winters
In acknowledging still yet another death in the folk community this year, the first part of this program paid tribute to Bert Jansch, the Glasgow-born folk guitarist whose artistry exerted an immense influence on and inspiration for generations of folk and rock guitarists in the 1960s and 1970s and again in this century. Jansch succumbed to lung cancer on Oct. 5 at age 67.
A founding member of the famed British folk-rock group Pentangle, Jansch was a mostly self-taught musician with an idiosyncratic finger-picking style with its bent notes and varying time signatures that blended folk, jazz, classical and blues. He emerged in the early days of the British folk song revival as a solo performer but then achieved international recognition beyond folk circles as a member of Pentangle. The list of artists that he influenced is lengthy and included Jimmy Page, Paul Simon, Donovan, Neil Young and Johnny Marr.
The remainder of the program featured selections from touring artists who will be performing shows in our broadcast area during the next week and included stellar new album releases from Andy Irvine and Catie Curtis.
- Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Bert Jansch & John Renbourn, “Goodbye Porkpie Hat”, Bert And John, Transatlantic
- Pentangle, “Brutontown”, Troubadours Of Folk, Castle
- Pentangle, “Let No Man Steal Your Thyme”, Troubadours Of British Folk, Rhino
- Bert Jansch, “Needle Of Death”, Troubadours Of British Folk, Rhino
- Pentangle, “So Early In The Spring”, So Early In The Spring, Park
- Bert Jansch, “Angi/Work Song”, Transatlantic Ticket, Transatlantic
- Andy Irvine, “Willy Of Winsbury”, “The Spirit Of Mother Jones”, Abocurragh, Independent
- Sara Grey, “Goodnight-Loving Trail”, “Rake And Rambling Boy”, Sandy Boys, Fellside
- Catie Curtis, “Let It Last”, “Riverwide”, Stretch Limousine On Fire, Compass
- Jackson Browne, “Something Fine”, Solo Acoustic/Vol. 2, Inside Recordings
- Jackson Browne & David Lindley, “The Crow On The Cradle”, Love Is Strange, Inside Recordings
- House Of Waters, “Raindrops”, Peace The Coats, Independent
- Pesky J. Nixon, Breathe In Autumn”, “Fade”, Monkey Business & Mislaid Hopes, Independent