First broadcast October 21, 2011
American Musical Icons: Bill Monroe & Hank Williams
10 p.m. to Midnight Host: Steve Winters
This is an extraordinary night of music as Profiles in Folk continues to celebrate the music of William Smith Monroe (“The Father Of Bluegrass”) during this centennial year of his birth and programs a “show within a show” by presenting a 60-minute presentation by our friends at Joyride Media that focuses on “The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams.”
The “program within a program” on Hank Williams, one of America’s greatest songwriters, centers on the tale of his “lost notebooks” and the release of a new album of the lyrics of a dozen unrecorded songs from those notebooks set to melodies and recorded by mega-talents such as Merle Haggard, Nora Jones, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, Rodney Crowell and Bob Dylan.
The “Lost Notebooks” album is being released this month on Bob Dylan’s imprint, Egyptian Records, in association with the Country Music Hall Of Fame and Columbia Records.
Throughout this next year, Bill Monroe’s music will be weaving its way through selected Profiles in Folk shows as we pay honor the man who created a new genre of music in the late 1940s with his “Original Blue Grass Boys” — Earl Scruggs, Lester Flatt, Chubby Wise, and Howard Watts. This show offers selections from just a few of the Bill Monroe tribute albums that are available.
- Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Benny Martin, “Blue Moon Of Kentucky”, Hats Off! A Tribute To Bill Monroe, CMH Records
- Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, “Uncle Pen”, The Legend Lives On, Koch/Audium
- John Hartford, “Cross-Eyed Child”, The Legend Lives On, Koch/Audium
- Sam Bush & Jerry Douglas, “Big Mon”, True Life Blues, Sugar Hill
- Nashville Bluegrass Band, “Dark As The Night/Blue As The Day”, Legacy, Sugar Hill
- Peter Rowan, “Sweetheart You Done Me Wrong”, Legacy, Sugar Hill
- Del McCoury Band, “True Life Blues”, The Legend Lives On, Koch/Audium
- Marty Stuart & The Del McCoury Band, “Rawhide”, The Legend Lives On, Koch/Audium
- Hank Williams: The Lost Notebooks / The Radio Special / Joyride Media, , ,
- Del McCoury & Friends, “Can’t You Hear Me Callin’?”, True Life Blues, Sugar Hill
- Bill Monroe & The Blue Grass Boys, “Blue Moon Of Kentucky”, “Bluegrass Breakdown”, The Essential Bill Monroe, Columbia (Box Set)