First broadcast November 21, 2014
Collected Works & In Memoriam: Maggie Boyle
10 p.m. to Midnight Host: Steve Winters
This is a varied night of music. Taking up where I left off last week, there are selections from the collected works of Bruce Cockburn (an expansive 8-CD set) and Guy Clark (2-CD set of four early albums). For good measure, I went back to early hits from Yusuf Islam (a.k.a. Cat Stevens) and joined them with two selections from his newest album, which returns him to his musical roots.
Maggie Boyle was one of England’s most respected folksingers but throughout her lifetime maintained a low profile as a solo artist. She preferred collaboration. Maggie Boyle died Nov. 6 of cancer at age 57. She is perhaps best known for her work with her former husband Steve Tilston and the female trio Grace Notes. She and Tilston were also members of the short-lived band John Renbourn’s Ship of Fools. Not only a spell-binding vocalist, she was also an accomplished flautist.
I also snuck in selections from a dynamite new album from Cassie and Maggie MacDonald of Nova Scotia.
- Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Cassie & Maggie MacDonald, :Jimmie’s”, Sterling Road, Independent
- Bruce Cockburn, “Postcards From Cambodia”, “Avalon My Hometown”, Rumours Of Glory, True North
- Guy Clark, “Boats To Build”, “Picasso’s Mandolin”, An American Dream, Raven
- Guy Clark, “Dublin Blues”, Dublin Blues, Asylum
- Bruce Cockburn, “Come Down Healing”, Rumours Of Glory, True North
- Cassie & Maggie MacDonald, “Sisters”, “The Dusty Meadow Variations”, Sterling Road, Independent
- Cat Stevens, “Morning Has Broken”, Teaser & The Fire Cat, A&M
- Cat Stevens, “Wild World”, Tea For The Tillerman, A&M
- Yusuf Islam, “I Was Raised In Babylon”, “You Are My Sunshine”, Tell ’Em I’m Gone, Legacy Records
- Cat Stevens, “Peace Train”, Cat Stevens Greatest Hits, A&M
- Steve Tilston & Maggie Boyle, “Silver Dagger”, “The Lamentation Of Hugh Reynolds”, Of Moor And Mesa
- Green Linnet, , ,
- Grace Notes, “All That Is Gold”, Flash Company, Fellside
- Grace Notes, “Down Falls The Day”, Reaching Back/Vol. 5, Free Reed
- Steve Tilston & Maggie Boyle, “Fair Annie”, All Under The Sun, Flying Fish